Public Service Announcement: How to Research Your Doctor
May 28, 2009
Some of you may recall when we passed the original Michael Skolnik Medical Transparency Act (HB 07-1331) which provides the education, specialties, malpractice history, disciplinary history, criminal history, and information about employment contracts, medical investments and loss of hospital or prescribing privileges.
Physicians renew their licenses every two years so while we have had the benefit of NEW physicians in the database up until now by May 31, 2009 the Colorado Board of Medical Examiners will have a complete data on Colorado physicians. To look up physician profiles click here.
Why should you care?
- Medical errors are the 8th leading cause of death in the United States
- There are 98,000 preventable hospital deaths that occur each year due to errors
- Make you pick a provider that is qualified and has a license in good standing
- A small number of physicians comprise the majority of medical malpractice claims
- It can mean the difference between life and death
Patty and David Skolnik's son, Michael, was killed as a result of an unnecessary brain surgery for a cyst that never existed, causing swelling and bleeding of his brain, leaving him unable to care for himself and eventually to organ failure.
Printable Version of this Page
<< Next post ||
Previous post >>